Do not be afraid, for I am with you. I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west. (Isaiah 43:5)
Tuesday, September 7, 2010
Orphaned No Longer
Today we went through the actual adoption process. Very strange. We walked a long way through the hotel to the enormous, round building that I think you can see in the photos from the window a few posts back. Turns out that's the adoption registry and wedding chapel. We had a photo taken with our three heads together. Next, we sat in a crowded room with all the families who picked up children yesterday. We waited and chatted and double checked our papers. When it was our turn, we went to the counter and were asked why we want to adopt (we have three boys and want a girl, duh) and what is our attitude toward this child after we have met her. I said, 'We love her.' She asked again. Raymond said, 'We love her.' Again. I thought, 'Chinese. What would be the right answer in the Chinese culture? Happiness!' So, I tried,'We are very happy with her.' She smiled and told me to put her red thumb print on the document. Have you ever tried to dip a 22 month old's thumb in red ink and get her to push it in a little square? I had red ink all over me and several smeared prints on the paper. Next we went into another room with only the one family in our travel group. We stood in front of a curtained display for the ceremony to receive our adoption certificate. Lastly, we went back to the original room to meet with the notary and promise not to mistreat or abandon her. We paid our fees and left. We're all official now. Annalyn has a real mommy and daddy and bubbas and grands and aunts and cousins and everybody.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment