Do not be afraid, for I am with you. I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west. (Isaiah 43:5)

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Silk Factory


I don't think I've written about the silk factory. After the adoption ceremony, we went with Peyton and her new parents, Savor our guide, and Mr. Ying our driver to the government silk factory for lunch. We again enjoyed a private room and had a large, inexpensive meal. Annalyn acts as though she is not allowed to touch food besides breads. Here, Daddy was feeding her with chopsticks, as he always does and impresses everybody. Then, he passed her to me to feed with my fingers. I wasn't going fast enough, so she slowly reached over to the corn and picked up one piece. She looked at us and saw that was alright, so she started shoveling in corn, peas, and bok choy until it was all gone.

Afterward, we toured the factory learning about the silk worms and the process of making a silk filled comforter. We all joined in the pulling of one cocoon to stretch it into a queen size layer. We've gotten used to sleeping under one of these. We're going to miss it. When none of us could be sold a comforter, we were escorted to the outer room full of silk clothing. Beautiful and expensive things!

Dear Boys: Yes, I took a picture of the silk worms. No, I did not stick one in my pocket. Yes, people do eat the outer shell after it comes out of the cocoon, like a cicada shell. No, I didn't eat one. Yes, I looked for silk robes for you. No, I did not buy any. They were way to high. Yes, I did get a small, scrap of silk for each of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment