Do not be afraid, for I am with you. I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west. (Isaiah 43:5)

Sunday, September 5, 2010

World's Fair/Expo



Wow! We survived the World's Fair. I have no words nor photos that can possibly describe the massiveness of it. We opted to visit small countries with short lines (two of which we had never heard of) or the larger countries that were handicap accessible. Once again Raymond enjoyed taking advantage of my broken foot, as some countries would allow handicap or 'heavy pregnant women' to cut to the front. We saw only a small percentage of the fair, but did see some exciting things. We saw a 4th century BC helmet, a Byzantine portrait of Christ, and a 7th Century velum Gospel. The locals paid no attention to the historical artifacts, which had only been brought by European countries. They went wild over the murals, artificial plants, and modern imitation statues. They also found my walking boot to be utterly astounding. I guess that's an invention that hasn't made it to China yet. It was kind of fun being an exhibit. We walked a lot and enjoyed it until I had just walked too much and was ready to catch a taxi. I lay down on a bench while Raymond figured out where to get one. Turns out we were about a mile in any direction from an exit, and they do not have any assistance like a golf cart. I thought we were just going to have to stay the night on that bench, but we started out and stopped for a snack and eventually found the exit. Then we were still several blocks from a taxi pick up. On the up side, official expo taxis have seatbelts so we could sit back, relax, and take in the nightly Shanghai light show on the way to the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment